6th November 2014
ANZICS Issues Statement on Care and Decision Making at the End-of-Life
Following a comprehensive survey of stakeholders, the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS) has recently finalised the first edition of the ANZICS Statement on Care and Decision Making at the End-of-Life for the Critically Ill.
Based on the original ANZICS Statement on Withholding and Withdrawing Treatment, this document is more comprehensive, providing considerable detail on the clinical context, ethical principles and the legal framework in Australia and New Zealand.
Produced by a dedicated ANZICS Working Group, the Statement is intended to provide a framework for best practice in respect of critically ill patients at the end of life in Australia and New Zealand and provide strong support to intensive care staff involved in the care of these patients and their families. Guidance is given on processes and a limited number of specific recommendations are made regarding good clinical practice. Clinical case examples are used throughout to illustrate important points and to stimulate consideration and discussion.
Prior to the finalisation of the Statement, a consultation draft was sent out to all ANZICS members as well as a number of external stakeholders inviting them to review the document and provide feedback via an accompanying survey. The survey closed on 29th August 2014. ANZICS membership represented approximately 70% of respondents with external stakeholders making up the remaining 30%.
ANZICS End-of-Life Care Working Group members:
Associate Professor William Silvester, Chair (Victoria, DODC)
Dr Stewart Moodie, Deputy Chair (South Australia, DODC)
Associate Professor Brent Richards (Queensland, DODC)
Dr Charlie Corke (Victoria)
Dr Dominic Wilkinson (South Australia)
Dr James Judson (New Zealand, DODC; ANZICS Past President)
Professor Malcolm Fisher, AO (ANZICS Past President)
Dr Penny Stewart (Northern Territory)
Dr Peter Saul (New South Wales)
Dr Stephen Jacobe (New South Wales – Paediatrics)
Associate Professor Stephen Streat (New Zealand, DODC)
Dr Theresa Jacques (New South Wales)
To access the ANZICS Statement on Care and Decision Making at the End-of-Life for the Critically Ill please visit www.anzics.com.au .
PO Box 164
CARLTON SOUTH, VIC 3053
T: 03 9340 3400
F: 03 9340 3499